During rehearsals, Brad Pitt and Edward Norton found out that they both hated the new Volkswagen Beetle with a passion, and for the scene where Tyler and The Narrator are hitting cars with baseball bats, Pitt and Norton insisted that one of the cars be a Beetle. As Norton explains on the DVD commentary, he hates the car because the Beetle was one of the primary symbols of 60s youth culture and freedom. However, the youth of the 60s had become the corporate bosses of the 90s, and had repackaged the symbol of their own youth, selling it to the youth of another generation as if it didn’t mean anything. Both Norton and Pitt felt that this kind of corporate selling out was exactly what the film was railing against, hence the inclusion of the car; “It’s a perfect example of the Baby Boomer generation marketing its youth culture to us. As if our happiness is going to come by buying the symbol of their youth movement, even with the little flower holder in the plastic molding. It’s appalling to me. I hate it.”
THEY JUST KEEP GETTING BETTER
- If you are HIV-negative, PEP and PrEP can help you stay that way.
- If you are HIV-positive, PEP and PrEP can help protect your partners.
PrEP is a daily pill that can help keep you HIV-negative as long as you take it every day.
- Ask your doctor if PrEP (Pre-exposure Prophylaxis) may be right for you.
- Condoms give you additional protection against HIV, other sexually transmitted infections, and unintended pregnancy.
If you are HIV-negative and think you were exposed to HIV, immediately go to a clinic or emergency room and ask for PEP (Post-exposure Prophylaxis).
- PEP can stop HIV if started within 36 hours of exposure.
- You continue taking PEP for 28 days.
Many insurance plans including Medicaid cover PEP and PrEP. Assistance may be available if you are uninsured. Visit NYC Health’s website to find out where to get PrEP or PEP in New York City.
This is such a giant step that barely any people know about it seems, so amazing to see progress in the treatment of HIV
I honestly thought this might be exaggeration but the CDC says that PrEP is 92% effective. Damn. Damn.
reblogging because this deserves waaaay more attention D:
I am amazed and INCREDIBLY GLAD that PEP and PrEP are actually being offered as part of a public health initiative. This is exactly the approach that’s been needed and hasn’t been there for the longest time. And the PrEP is Truvada! I remember when Truvada came out back in the mid 00s. We had a stockroom full of boxes of donated Truvada which got shipped to our facility in Nigeria. I vividly remember hauling cartons of this shit around.
Back then, the organization for which I worked was focusing on a couple specific initiatives on ground, one of which was prevention of mother-to-child transmission, or PMTCT. HIV+ mothers can pass the virus to their babies at birth or via breastfeeding, which is a big deal in developing countries where safe and readily available water to mix up formula is scarce. I don’t know what they ended up concluding, I remember seeing a bunch of nevirapine articles that disagreed with one another, but they were focusing on the prevention of transmission rather than just trying to knock the virus down once it got hold of you. Prevention. Limiting the spread.
PEP was always a thing for healthcare workers who had been exposed to potential infection, but having it available via a public health initiative is a REALLY GOOD THING. Even better? The availability of pre-exposure prophylaxis via a public health initiative. How about we don’t judge or shame people who are regularly exposed to HIV through whatever vector, sexual relationships or injecting drugs or whatever, how about we try helping these people not get the fucking virus, how about that?
Sorry. I just…I know just enough about this to get how huge an improvement it could be in dealing with HIV. If this kind of approach were rolled out on a country-wide scale it could really maybe actually do something.
I think about this every day
watch this shirtless dude do a flawless kristen wiig skit for some reason
y’all act like public schools are the worst but i went to a private school for nine months and at one point the boys discovered if you spray your nipple with deodorant for fifteen seconds and flick it then it comes off so they all started doing it and my friend walked into the changing room and got hit in the eye by a flying nipple
LESS HORRIFIED SCREAMS
What do MRAs do except bitch about women?
They hold talks about men’s issues. been two or three at University or Toronto. There is a major one coming up in Detroit even. They use No shave November to raise awareness and funds about testicular and prostate cancer as well as mental health. They opened the first male specific help line for abuse in Vancouver. They opened the Canadian Centre for Men and Families. They do it all without millions of dollars handed to them by the government.
What have you done other than bitch about MRAs?
As a queer guy I get a confidence boost from republicans insinuating that my mere existence has the power to destroy a country
that’s the spirit
REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
My friend knows someone who keeps all her money in a hollow dildo. If you don’t think that’s genius, just imagine a robber stealing from a teenage girl’s room. Is he going to look in the dildo? Is he even going to want to touch the dildo?? No. A hollow dildo is safer than any safe or lock.
Be safe, kids. Keep your money in a dildo.
So sorry I haven’t been posting updated pictures of darling Kona, but I’ve been super busy and my sister hasn’t downloaded the pictures to the computer yet. I hope to get some up soon though because I really want you to see them. He is so handsome.
For now: 2 month old puppy picture!
I really take how smart Kona is for granted. He basically taught himself a lot of his tricks (such as fetch). I have never really had to work really hard to get him to learn something, he picks up on it really fast (like you do it three times and he’s got it fast). Like, he is literally, unbelievably smart. I am so blessed to have found such a perfect puppy.
And all his smartness will only make him a better therapy dog :)
Angie is a therapy dog who comes into the library and lets kids read to her so that kids who are struggling with reading can gain confidence. Every time I’ve seen her in the library she’s always wagging her tail for the kids and is very attentive.
This is what I really hope one day Kona will do. I think he likes kids a lot, though we also plan on visiting hospitals and nursing homes, etc.
reblogging your own selfie